What is the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and the role of Support Coordination?
The NDIS is a new way to give choice and control to people with a disability. You the participant can chose which service provider you would like to use and how the supports are given. Support Coordination is an important part of the funded support in your plan. Implementing your NDIS plan is the first step in achieving your goals.
So what is Support Coordination?
The objective of Support Coordination is to connect you to appropriate NDIS supports and service in your area. At Huntington’s NSW ACT we will provide you with a highly skilled Support Coordinator to assist you to implement all funded supports in ‘YOUR NDIS PLAN’ including all informal, mainstream and community supports in a way that is directed by you the participant. Essentially we will help you navigate the NDIS.
The NDIS states that Support Coordination is:
- A capacity building support, funded in the NDIS plan
- To assist people with a disability and their family and carers to navigate the NDIS system
- These include funded supports, informal, government and community supports.
What will Huntington’s NSW ACT Support Coordinators do for you?
Our core values are:
- Passion for social justice
- Close connection to our community
Our Support Coordinators will:
- Assist you to access community activities, support with health informal supports and funded supports
- Work in a person-centred approach, putting you first
- Help you chose the services that will suit your needs
- Assist you to negotiate with providers to maximise the best out of your plan
- Make sure service agreements and provides service bookings are created
- Work with you to achieve your goals
- Organise appropriate assessments e.g. Occupational Therapy (OT) capacity assessment or home modification
- Complete annual reports for the next planning meeting
- Support you to resolve and issues or disputes with service providers
- Assist with suitable housing options, respite, supportive accommodation
- Guide you through what the NDIS means by reasonable and necessary.
What are the benefits working with Huntington’s NSW & ACT Support Coordinators?
At Huntington’s NSW ACT we understand the progressive neurodegenerative nature of Huntington’s disease and the effects it can have on a person’s day-to-day life and the impacts it has on their carers. The Support Coordinators will work with you at your pace to remove some of your daily stress by coordinating your supports.
We are here to empower you to live a quality life with dignity and autonomy. We know that people who are experiencing symptoms of Huntington’s can lose capacity to direct their own life.
Regardless of your capacity, Support Coordinators will ensure that you and your carers can build capacity to exercise choice and control throughout your plan. You will be working with Support Coordinators who are compassionate, caring and empathetic people who are here to listen to you.
Our mission is to provide Support Coordination only for NDIS participants impacted by Huntington’s disease.
At this stage we will provide the support coordination to clients residing in the Sydney metropolitan area and adjacent areas (such as the Blue Mountains, Illawarra and Central Coast), limited by the need to be able to reach clients within a day’s return travel.
Huntington’s NSW ACT is a registered and accredited NDIS provider: 4050000632.